A New Kind of Burger

I’ve really been in the mood to grill burgers at home. Mike and I try to stay aware and not eat red meat more than once or at most twice a week, and we’d already had it twice, so I had to think of different way to satisfy my craving. I was at the store to pick up chicken breasts for him to grill when it hit me…why not make chicken burgers? We’ve had them before and found them tasty. And, as luck would have it, the ground chicken was on sale. Then my mind really started going nuts…I saw arugula on Manager’s Special (those little orange tags always excite me), and I knew we had feta cheese at home. Why not get really crazy and make Greek Chicken Burgers?

Once home, I combined a pound of ground chicken with 1 egg, Montreal Chicken Seasoning, and about 4 ounces crumbled tomato-basil feta cheese. (I'm sure you could use ground turkey inplace of the chicken.) Form into 3 or 4 patties and drizzle with a bit of extra-virgin olive oil to flavor the burgers,keep them most, and prevent them from sticking. Grill until cooked through. Regular buns didn’t seem to me to be quite right, so we usedwhole wheat buns. We spread a little extra feta and a little mayonnaise on our buns, then Mike topped his with arugula and sliced tomatoes, and I topped mine with fresh spinach and a few arugula leaves. We each had fresh corn on the cob as our side.

Oh...my...goodness. I have to say, this was very simple, but incredibly satisfying. I also felt like I was able to enjoy it a little more knowing it had some healthy benefits to it. All-in-all, a success in my book that will certainly be repeated!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!