Pie for Work...Again

In an effort to raise money for United Way, my company decided to have a bake sale and cake/pie auction two days ago. As we had family arriving in town that night, and Mike had a flag football game, I opted to help out by baking a pie for the auction instead of needing to bag up individual servings for the bake sale. I found a recipe that looked tasty, but relatively easy, with high ratings on food.com. My only hope was that it would raise at least $15 in the auction...

Despite the fact that I misread the recipe and ended up staying up way past my bedtime to get it finished, it was, indeed, quite easy to put together. Even better, I'm happy to report it raised $40 in the auction! Eager to try it for myself, I made another this morning to take to my parents' house for family to try.

All-in-all, I would say it got pretty good reviews. I did cheat and use a store-bought pie pastry, but we can't all be Betty Crocker...My brother-in-law who is in love with my normal apple pie said he might like this one even better. With Thanksgiving fast approaching, it will be hard to choose which one to make!


For some reason, my photo won't rotate, but you get the gist...

Yummy Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie

Apple Pie
Pastry for single-crust pie
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 cups thinly sliced apples (peeled or unpeeled)

Crumb Topping
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup butter

Final Topping
1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Prepare pastry for single-crust pie, being careful not to stretch too much. Place in a pie plate, trimming and crimping the edge. In a large bowl, stir together the sugarm flour, cinnamon, and salt. Add apple slices and toss gently to coat well. Spoon into the prepared pie pastry.

For crumb topping, stir together the brown sugar, flour and oats.Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the apple mixture. Cover the edge of the pie with foil to prevent overbrowning.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes longer or until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven. Drizzle with the caramel and sprinkle with pecans. Cool slightly before slicing.

Serves 6 to 8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!