Foil-Baked Halibut

Here’s another quickie that I’m sure you’ll be glad to have on hand. Mike and I still have a fair amount of Alaskan fish in our freezer from Mike’s trip there last year. As we need to be finishing it, we’ve been looking for a variety of recipes to keep dinner interesting as well as tasty.

The recipe we most recently used is definitely going to be one of my go-to recipes in the future. It uses ingredients I (almost) always have on hand, it was tasty, and we think relatively healthy. The only thing we didn’t have this time was onion, so I sprinkled the fish fillet with onion powder before spreading the mayonnaise mixture over it. We usually have shallots on hand, which I think would add a little bit of color to an otherwise very monochromatic dish.

Speaking of it being monochromatic, while this is some of the tastiest, moistest fish I’ve made in a while, it’s not overly pretty. If you’re making it for guests, think about garnishing it with a sprig of parsley, and/or using red onion to give it some color. Serve it alongside a fresh green salad or some other colorful veggie, like cooked carrots. We ate ours with garlic Parmesan noodles, which while delicious, made for a very beige dinner.

I found the recipe in one of my favorite books that I’ve mentioned here before, Salt to Honey from the JL of Salt Lake City. If you haven’t order it yet, you should.

Foil-Baked Halibut

2 pounds halibut fillets
1 onion, sliced
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
Juice of 1 lime
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
Dash of soy sauce
2 tablespoons butter

Arrange the fish on a large sheet of foil. Top with the onion. Combine the mayonnaise, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce in a bowl and mix well. Pour over the fish. Dot with the butter. Seal the foil to form a packet. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until the fish flakes easily. (You can also grill the foil packet for 20 to 25 minutes.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!