Dinner for a Manly Man

Some of my readers may know that I was recently laid off (along with my entire department) due to "budgetary constraints." While I could be really mad about this (and some days, it's tempting), I'm choosing to use this time to my benefit. Getting things done around the house, helping out those who need me during the day, and getting dinner started before Mike gets home. A week or two ago, I found a recipe that had my hubby's name written all over it: Austin-Style Chicken Chili. It came in a pull-out from our recent issue of Food Network Magazine that was "man-themed" in honor of fathers' day.

We love trying new chili recipes, and this one caught my eye for several reasons. 1) It was a red chicken chili. Most chicken chili I see is white. 2) You braise said chicken in beer, which is one of our favorite "secret" chili ingredients. 3) It contained chipotle chiles and a habanaro.

This last reason caused me slight concern, as Mike certainly loves food spicier than I do, but it was only added at the end, whole, so I surmised that in the grand scheme of things (including 3 pounds of chicken), it couldn't possibly be too spicy.

Everything went together pretty easily. I had a ton of ground coriander, so I used that instead of coriander seeds, adding it to toasting cumin seeds after a few minutes instead of at the same time. Also, I could only find jarred habaneros at the store. The produce man explained that they had just come into season from their supplier, and the jar everything first, then send extras as fresh. I suppose not many people use habanero chiles on a regular basis.

By the time Mike got home from work, the chili was simmering nicely on the stove, filling the house with a delicious aroma. I was certainly hungry, and he was excited to taste what he was smelling.

Just to be on the safe side, I tasted a small bite before ladling up my serving. Whoo! Thankfully, I had picked up some sour cream, just in case. I know I don't have the strongest palate, but this definitely had a bite. Mike, of course, thought it was perfect and had a second bowl, but I stopped with one.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy it or that I wouldn't make it again. The flavor was good, and I certainly would, just with a few adjustments. Instead of pureeing the entire can of chipotle chiles and adobo, I would seed several or all of the chiles before processing them. I had already added the low end of recommended cayenne pepper, but might go with 1.5 tablespoons next time. I might also cut a smaller slit into the habanero (which, I should point out, I was going to toss after simmering. Mike chopped it up and added it to his bowl. Crazy, right?)

Anyway...definitely worth making, but know your spice limitations and mix accordingly. Here's the recipe, straight from the Food Network Web site.

Austin-Style Chicken Chili from Michael Symon
¼ cup cumin seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 pounds ground chicken
Kosher salt
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, sliced
2 red bell peppers, diced
2 to 4 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 (12-ounce) bottles porter beer
1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, pureed
1 habanero chile pepper

Toast the cumin and coriander seeds in a skillet over medium heat. Transfer to a bowl to cool, then grind in a spice grinder.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add half of the ground chicken and season with salt; cook, stirring, until the meat is browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate using a slotted spoon. Repeat with the remaining olive oil and chicken; transfer to the plate.
Add the onion, garlic and bell peppers to the pot; season with salt and cook, stirring, until aromatic but not caramelized, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the ground cumin and coriander, the cayenne and paprika; cook 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato paste and cook 30 more seconds.
Deglaze the pot with the beer, using a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pot. Return the chicken to the pot and stir to incorporate. Stir in the pureed chipotle chiles and 2 cups water. Cut a slit in one side of the habanero and add it to the pot. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 2 hours. (Add more water if the chili is too thick.) Remove the habanero before serving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!