Happy Easter!

Like many of you, today we celebrated Easter, the resurrection of Jesus. And, of course, no celebration is complete without friends, family, and food (not necessarily in that order).

My contribution this year is Amaretto Fruit Salad, found in the Junior League of Chattanooga's latest cookbook, Seasoned to Taste. I love this cookbook (each chapter is a different season: Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter) and cannot wait to try many other recipes from it, but one thing at a time. We made this recipe as listed, leaving off the garnish because we didn't have any mint on hand.

Let me add that I never thought I liked pineapple. I thought it was stringy, and I am definitely a texture person when it comes to choosing what foods I like. This time, we opted for buying a whole pineapple instead of one that was already cored and peeled. It was almost $2 cheaper, and prepping it myself wasn't that difficult. Mike also convinced me to try just one piece. I did, reluctantly, and discovered...I really like pineapple. Who'd have thought?

The hardest part about this entire recipe was chopping up all the fruit, but it certainly makes enough to feed a crowd, and I love chopping fruits and veggies anyway (weird, I know).
I hope all of you had a fabulous Easter, and be sure sure to check out this recipe and this book. I'm sure you'll more recipes from it here...(P.S.~the book would make a really great gift, and Mother's Day is fast approaching!) 
Amaretto Fruit Salad
Serves 6 to 8

1/2 cup amaretto
1/2 cup white wine
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons sugar
1 bunch grapes, sliced
1 small honeydew melon, finely chopped
1 small pineapple, finely chopped
1 pint strawberries, sliced
1 large banana, sliced
1 sprig of fresh mint for garnish


Whisk the amaretto, wine, lemon juice and sugar together in a bowl until the sugar dissolves. Combine the grapes, melon, pineapple and strawberries in a large bowl. Pour the amaretto mixture over the top. Chill, covered, for 8 to 10 hours. Just before serving, stir in the banana. Garnish with the mint.
NOTE: Substitutions can be made with the fruit according to season and availability.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!