Homemade Calzones

There's no story behind this post...just a recipe we saw in our latest Food Network Magazine that tickled our fancy: Salami-Mozzarella Calzone. As you have probably gathered by now, I'm a sucker for anything with cheese in it; what you may not know is that salami may well be my favorite deli meat (try a grilled cheese and salami sandwich and you'll see what I mean.) Calzones with salami instead of pepperoni? Yummy indeed.


Don't be scared by the pickled vegetable ingredient (giardiniera). It comes in a jar and can be found in the pickle and olive aisle of you grocery store. Look in the international aisle near the Italian food if it's not with the pickles. (This week, Publix has Mezzetta brand on sale for $ .99!)


I've never made my own calzones before, so I liked that on my first attempt, two factors made it seem easier. 1) The recipe uses store-bought pizza dough. I'm all for fresh, homemade doughs and pastries, but there is a sense of relief is being able to pick some up already prepared. It's one less thing that can go potentially wrong the first time, and it means this is a viable option for an easy weeknight meal. 2) Although this serves 4 according to the recipe, you are actually making only one giant calzone instead of individual servings. Perfect!


Salami-Mozzarella Calzones
2 large eggs 
¼ cup chopped parsley
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
¼ pound shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
1 (13-ounce) tube refrigerator pizza dough
¼ pound deli-sliced salami, cut into thin strips
1½ cups giardiniera (pickled mixed vegetables), drained
¼ pound sliced provolone cheese
1) Place a baking sheet upside down in the oven and preheat to 400 degrees. eat the eggs, parsley, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Pour half into a medium bowl and stir in the mozzarella. Reserve the remaining egg mixture for brushing the crust.
2) Turn a nother baking sheet upside down. Line with parchment paper and brush with olive oil. Unroll the dough on the parchment and pat into a 9x12-inch rectangle. Spread the mozzarella mixture over half the dough, leaving a 1-inch border along the edge. Top with the salami, followed by the vegetables and provolone. Fold the other half the dough over to cover the filling. Crimp and roll the edges to seal, then pierce the top of the dough in a few places with a knife.3) Slide the calzone with parchment paper onto the preheated baking sheet; bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with the remaining egg mixture, then continue to bake until the crust is golden brown, about 5 to 10 more minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes; cut into wedges.

Comments

  1. I wish I would have found this blog / recipe yesterday! I too just got my Food Network Magazine and was going to make it last night but I couldn't locate the giardinera at my local store. Turns out, I was in the wrong aisle. Who knew it was in the pickled aisle, I was standing in canned veggies. :) I'm off to make this now and can't wait to see how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think! We chopped our veggies into smallers pieces so we could more easily spread them across the calzone. Very tasty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!