Squash and Carrots, Oh My!

When Mike and I were still just dating, Mike's mom was having us over for dinner and introduced me to a brand new dish: Squash Casserole. It was so very tasty that I asked for the recipe at the end of the meal and have been making it ever since. Granted, it's not the healthiest way to eat your vegetables, but sometimes you've got to go for tasty and leave the healthy to someone else.

Most recipes I've found call for a full cup of sour cream and an entire stick of butter. I've decreased both these and found it was still delicious. If you're really going for decadence, though, feel free to go all in. Also, most recipes I've seen either mix half the cornbread stuffing mix into the casserole or spread half on the bottom and the remaining on top. I really enjoy the crispy on top, so that's where I put all of mine.

All the ingredient amounts are pretty flexible. I've used preshredded carrots, and I've shredded my own. Preshredded will offer a bit of crunch; hand shredded might help you sneak in carrots for those who aren't such fans. When I made this latest batch I was a bit short on squash, so I added one yellow zucchini and extra carrots without any problem at all. I've also used dried minced onion when I don't have one on hand. It also reheats well, although I especially like reheating it in the oven so the crumb topping stays crispy.

Summer Squash Casserole
6 cups chopped yellow squash
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 to 1 cup sour cream (I usually use closer to 1/2)
1 cup shredded carrot
6 to 8 ounces cornbread stuffing mix
1/2 cup butter, melted

Cook the squash and onion in water for several minutes or until softened. Drain well, pressing out any excess moisture.
Blend the soup and sour cream in a large bowl. Stir in the carrot; mix in the squash mixture until well combined. Spoon into a baking dish.
Combine the stuffing mix with the butter in a bowl until well coated. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.


Not my best pic, but this is all that was left when I remembered to take one!

Comments

  1. The cousin that I'm staying with right now has a crazy load of squash coming out of her garden... this may be just the ticket :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was sooooooo goooooood :) Added a bit of fresh lemon thyme and sage and that was super yum, too! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall