Gooey Goodness


Today's treat is in honor of Shayla's birthday. I was in the mood to try something new, and I knew she loved coconut. Hence, this Almond Joy Cake. I did everything exactly as directed by the recipe, but I will share one word of warning: The cake pan gets very full. As in, when I was adding the chocolate topping, chocolate started oozing off the sides of the pan and all over my table. You should probably set it on a cookie sheet first unless you have a super-deep cake pan (in which case, I'd like to know where you found it.)

Oh! I also used dark chocolate chips instead of semisweet because I was just certain Almond Joy candy bars were made with dark chocolate. I was later informed I was incorrect, but I thought the cake was delicious nonetheless. I would say to go with your personal preference.


Almond Joy Cake

1 (2-layer) package devil’s food cake mix
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1½ cups sugar
25 large marshmallows
1 (14-ounce) package flaked coconut
1 cup sugar
½ cup (1 stick) butter
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
3 ounces almonds, toasted

Prepare the cake and bake according to the package directions for a 9x13-inch cake pan. Combine half the evaporated milk and 1½ cups sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a rapid boil and then remove from the heat. Add the marshmallows, stirring until melted. Stir in the coconut. Pour over the cake, spreading to cover.
Combine 1 cup sugar and the remaining evaporated milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat. Add the butter and chocolate chips and stir until smooth. Stir in the almonds. Pour over the coconut layer. Chill, covered, for 2 to 24 hours before serving to enhance the flavors.

Serves 12 to 15

Recipe from A Thyme to Entertain from JL Annapolis

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Not Above Bribery...