Fall is Upon Us!

Well...it almost is, anyway. With a long-missed crispness back in the air today and a baseball game on TV tonight, I was in the mood to break out the soup pot again. Mike thought it sounded good, too, and we both agreed that we should try something we've never made. So, I pulled out some past issues of Food Network Magazine and EveryDay with Rachael Ray and got busy browsing.

Rachael Ray won this time with her Curried Chicken and Cider Soup. It seemed easy, healthful, and the perfect start to the season.

Anyway...this was, indeed, quite tasty. I doubled the recipe, since I couldn't think for the life of me what we'd do with half a chicken and half a head of cauliflower. The original said this freezes well, so I decided to make extra and we could always freeze some for later. Mike loved coming home from class to the smell of this on the stove, and ate until he was stuffed. All-in-all, I'd say it was a success. I think I might also add a pinch of cloves next time. If you're a nonmeat-eater, I think you'd really enjoy this even without the chicken. Maybe you could add tofu :)

Curried Chicken and Cider Soup

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
Salt and pepper
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup apple cider
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 head cauliflower, coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
1/2 rotisserie chicken, skin and bones discarded and meat shredded

In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cumin and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in the cider, scraping the bottom of the pan. Add 4 cups water and the sweet potato and bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower, lower the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Using a blender, and working in batches, puree the soup; return to the saucepan. Stir in the chicken and warm through over medium heat; season with salt and pepper.

Comments

  1. Definitely going to have to give this one a go... this is right up my alley!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!