Finally Fall

On tonight's menu...Monday Night Football and Moroccan Carrot Soup!


That peeler is one of the cheapest and best kitchen gadgets I own!
Nothing says Fall has arrived like football and soup, and since the temps around here finally dropped below the 80s, it was time to break out the soup pot. I first tried this carrot soup at my aunt's house several months ago, and I couldn't wait to make it again so Mike could try it, too.

It's really easy to make, and I believe relatively healthful. I'm not sure where the original recipe came from, so consider this one, "From the Kitchen of Aunt Sheryl." I used Greek yogurt, and doubled the recipe so we could have leftovers for lunches. The recipe as listed says it will serve 4.

Drizzling in the honey...



Moroccan Carrot Soup
2 Tbl butter
1 cup chopped white onion
1 lb large carrots, peeled and chopped into ½-inch pieces
2½ cups low-salt chicken broth
1 Tbl honey
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
⅛ tsp ground allspice
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup plain yogurt, stirred
1½ tsps cumin seeds (see note)

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the carrots and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Purée in batches until smooth (you can use an immersion blender, but this will leave more "chunks").  Whisk in the honey, lemon juice and allspice. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and top with a dollop of yogurt and the cumin.

Note: Stir the cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant (4 to 5 minutes). Finely grind in a spice mill or with a mortar and pestle.

Ta Da!

Comments

  1. What a great idea for a blog-especially for you! I think I'll try this goat cheese recipe. It looks delicious.

    Are you gonna let us all know how it tastes too? We'll need some feedback! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, everything's been pretty tasty. I served 4 goat cheese medallions per salad, but I think 2 or 3 would have been sufficient since I sliced them a bit thicker than the recipe called for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to try this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Billy, I think you'd really like it. It seems really hearty without all the extra calories and fat of cream or half-and-half. I served it with some toasted sourdough bread. So yummy...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!