Featuring Farm-Fresh Finds


As I may have mentioned in a previous post, I’ve become hooked on farm-fresh eggs and milk from Nashville Famers’ Market (for those of you in the area, my faves are JD Country Milk and Schrock Farms). A few nights ago I was on the hunt for an easy dinner that at least resembled something healthful, so decided to go for a frittata. I had just received an oven-safe skillet for Christmas and figured this would be a good way to break it in. Many of the recipes I found made a bigger frittata that what I felt like was necessary for just Mike and me, and none of them used the exact ingredients I was hungry for, so I decided to wing it. I must say, the result was quite tasty and heated up well the next day for lunch at work. The following is my “recipe” for our Mediterranean Frittata.

Cook about 4 slices bacon in a large oven-safe skillet until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain, reserving the 2 to 3 tablespoons of the drippings in the skillet. Crumble the bacon once it cools off enough to handle.

Chop ½ green bell pepper. Mince a 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and ½ to 1 shallot. Sauté the veggies in the reserved drippings until tender. Add ½ to 1 chopped tomato and sauté for about 1 minute. Whisk 5 eggs together in a bowl. Stir in about ¼ cup half-and-half or milk and pour immediately over the sautéed veggies. Sprinkle with the crumbled bacon, a handful of sliced black or kalamata olives, and about 4 ounces of crumbled feta cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook over medium heat until the bottom and edges are just set. Finish by baking the frittata in a 350-degree oven for about 15 minutes of until set. Slide out of the skillet onto a serving plate (mine is nonstick, which makes this extremely easy). Cut into wedges and enjoy warm or at room temperature.

Vegetarian option: Omit the bacon and sauté the veggies in olive oil or a small amount of margarine. I'm not sure what to sub if you don't eat eggs, milk, or cheese, but I'm sure there's something for that, too! :)

Of course, there are plenty or recipes for frittatas out there, but this is what I came up with. I would estimate it would serve 4 people as dinner if served with salads and/or fresh fruit. Feel free to add/substitute any veggies or cheese that you prefer.

Photo to come soon. 

Comments

  1. Sounds like baby Julianne likes spicy foods...you could sub chorizo for the bacon and Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese for the feta. I may have to try that myself now that I'm thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!