Citrus & Salmon

In our latest issue of Food Network Magazine, Mike and I found (among many other recipes) a recipe for Grapefruit and Mint Salad that we had to try. It looked really easy, and we had just seen beautiful, ripe, Ruby Red grapefruit at Kroger.

Realizing that a grapefruit salad would not be nearly enough for a full meal, we decided to keep it healthy and make some sort of fish/seafood. I had originally planned to try a new grouper recipe, but once I was back shopping at Kroger, I came across two dilemmas. 1) It is difficult to find grouper in landlocked Tennessee (only frozen was available); and 2) There was Coho salmon on sale that looked divine. I made a game-time decision and went for the salmon, buying one fillet for dinner tonight and one for salmon bisque in a couple days.

I wanted to try a “new” kind of salmon, so went for Asian-Spiced Salmon, which I found in Fiesta Seafood Kitchen: A Taste of Pensacola, a book filled with nothing but seafood recipes. It seemed easy, but full of flavor, and I already had everything I needed except for the cilantro (side note: some people are genetically predisposed to dislike cilantro. To them, it tastes like soap instead of the delicious flavor I taste. For you, I would replace it with parsley.)

Only a few little “tweaks” were necessary. We just wanted enough salmon for tonight, so we halved the recipe, spice rub and all. We left the fillet as one big piece that we split after it cooked, so the cooking time was a little longer. We have just found that salmon is easier to cut after it has cooked. For the salad, I had what I felt was more than enough juice, so Mike took a couple swigs so the grapefruit sections wouldn’t be swimming in dressing.  I didn’t have clover honey, so used local sunflower honey instead.

If you’ve never cut up a grapefruit, I tried to take pictures as I went to help you out (which was difficult with only hand).  It’s important to cut away all the white pith, which is bitter and tough.
   

Grapefruit-Mint Salad
Using a sharp’s chef knife, cut away the peel and white parts from 3 red grapefruits, then cut between the membranes to remove the segments. Squeeze the membranes [I saved and squeezed the cut peels, too] over a bowl to extract the juice. Whisk 2 tablespoons clover honey and 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint into the juice. Arrange the grapefruit on a platter or in a shallow bowl and drizzle with the dressing.






Asian-Spiced Salmon
Salmon
1 teaspoon each chili powder, dry mustard, curry powder, salt, coriander, sugar, and ground cumin
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets with skin
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Asian Dressing

6 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon sugar

For the salmon, mix the chili powder, dry mustard, curry powder, salt, coriander, sugar, and cumin in a small bowl. Arrange the salmon skin side down on a baking sheet or large plate. Sprinkle each fillet with 1½ teaspoons of the spice mixture and rub into the surface. Marinate, covered with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for 3 to 10 hours.
Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange the fillets skin side up in the hot skillet. Sear for about 3 minutes or until brown and crisp. Turn and sear for about 3 minutes longer or just until the salmon is cooked through. Drizzle with the dressing before serving.

For the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.

Serves 4


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!