For My Vegetarian Friends

A Facebook friend recently asked the FB world for help finding tasty vegetarian recipes to help her keep her New Year’s resolution to become a vegetarian. I remembered that the Junior League of San Fran’s latest cookbook had a vegetarian chapter, so decided to try out a new recipe… just to be helpful, of course J

I decided to give Penne with Kalamata Olives and Cheese a try. It was really easy to mix together and VERY tasty. I bought my Havarti cheese from the deli counter (just ask them to cut it as thick as possible.) It was difficult to shred, so I just sort of crumbled it up into the sauce. I forgot to grab asiago cheese at the store, so we used Parmesan cheese instead. We also used chicken broth instead of vegetable brot; it’s what we keep on hand, and neither of us is a vegetarian. Last thing… recipe doesn’t specify to cut up the olives, but I did cut those I mixed in with the pasta into halves so they’d be more spread out. I think you would be fine either way. Hope you enjoy it!

Penne with Kalamata Olives and Cheese
2 cups chopped yellow onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 (28-ounce) cans plum tomatoes with basil
1 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper
2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
16 ounces penne
2 tablespoons olive oil
2½ cups (10 ounces) shredded Havarti cheese
1 cup pitted whole kalamata olives
½ cup (2 ounces) grated asiago cheese
¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
Sauté the onions and garlic in 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until the onion is translucent. Add the tomatoes and crush red pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring and crushing the tomatoes against the side of the saucepan. Stir in the broth and return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1½ hours or until reduced and thickened to the desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cook the pasta to al dente using the package directions; drain. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and add to the sauce. Add the Havarti cheese and stir until melted. Mix in ¾ cup of the olives.
Spoon into a 9x13-inch baking dish and top with the remaining olives and the asiago cheese. Bake for 30 minutes. Garnish servings with the fresh basil.
Serves 8

Comments

  1. Thanks for helping me out today, I am searching around for something different for dinner tonight and want no meat. I think your penne recipe will be perfect. Thanks so much, now back to the grocers I shall go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I just realized my picture of the finished product didn't post, though. I'll get on that right away!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!