Addicted to Frozen Treats

Now that I know how well my ice cream maker works (having made Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and Lemon Raspberry Sherbet), I have a long list of ice cream, sherbet, and sorbet that I can't wait to try. Next on the list was Coconut Ice Cream from the Ben & Jerry's Cookbook the MIL gave me with my new gadget. I used eggs in the sweet cream abse this time, although I cooked the base even though they didn't to avoid any potential issues using raw eggs.

To do this, I heated the milk and cream to a low simmer in a saucepan. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a heatproof bowl. Gradually whisk some of the hot milk into the eggs, then whisk the eggs into the remaining hot milk. Continue to heat over low to medium-low heat until slightly thickened. Proceed as directed. You can skip this and make the recipe as they directed if you're not worried.

Be sure to get coconut cream (not coconut milk), which we found with the drink mixers at Walmart/Kroger.

Coconut Ice Cream
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy or whipping cream
1 cup milk
1 (15-ounce) can coconut cream, such as Coco Lopez (discard the waxy part, which is edible but won't mix well with the base)

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the sugar until completely blended, about a minute longer. Pour in the milk and cream and whisk to blend. Add the coconut cream and stir to blend.

Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze using the manufacturer's directions.

Makes a generous 1 quart

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!