Welcome Home!

Many of you know that for the month of January, Mike was in Antarctica for work. What you may not know is that I wanted to surprise him when he got home with the aforementioned Lemon Raspberry Sherbet, found in Salt to Honey, the newest cookbook from the Junior League of Salt Lake City.

I’ve been waiting to try this recipe for a while. Like the vanilla ice cream I previously posted, the lack of an exorbitant number of egg yolks appealed to me, as did also the combination of lemon and raspberry—two of Mike’s favorite flavors.

The recipe is simple and easy to follow, and oh so tasty. The only thing I would do different next time is either A) spread my raspberries out on a larger pan (not in a baggie) before freezing them to prevent the large chunks I ended up with, or B) cheat and use already frozen raspberries, which I’m sure would work but would not have the same fresh flavor.

Lemon Raspberry Sherbet
1⅓ cups sugar
2⅔ cups milk
⅓ cup cream
Zest and juice of 2 large lemons
1 tablespoon lemon extract
1 cup raspberries, coarsely chopped

Mix the sugar, milk, cream, lemon zest, lemon juice and lemon extract in a nonreactive bowl. Chill for 8 to 12 hours. Freeze the raspberries in a freezer bag for 8 to 12 hours.

Pour the lemon mixture into an ice cream freezer container. Freeze using the manufacturer’s directions, adding the raspberries 5 to 10 minutes before the end of the freezing process. Spoon into a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm.

Serves 16

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!