Shrove Tuesday Pancakes

Happy Shrove Tuesday (otherwise known as Fat Tuesday)! As I left for work this morning, I asked Mike to think about what he might want for dinner tonight, and suggested perhaps making pancakes. Growing up, my church often offered a pancake dinner to honor Shrove Tuesday in light of Ash Wednesday and the upcoming season of Lent beginning the next day.

As I was looking for possible pancake solutions during my break today, I remembered the 2 browning bananas sitting on our counter at home. I was in luck...I found a recipe for none other than Banana Pancakes in the very same book (Salt to Honey) that offered the Lemon Raspberry Sherbet I previously blogged about. I had all the ingredients on hand, and it used the bananas that would have otherwise been thrown into a smoothie or made into bread and muffins.

Mike also thought banana pancakes sounded good (which was pretty fortunate since I was ravenous for them by the time I arrived home.)

The recipe was easy to put together, using ingredients I had on hand. They cooked up nicely and most importantly were oh so tasty. We topped ours with with butter and real maple syrup, but I think they would also be good plain or with blueberry compote.

Hope you enjoyed them as much as we did! (And rest assured you'll see many more recipes from this book.)

Banana Pancakes
1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
1¾ cups milk
⅓ cup butter or margarine, melted
2 or 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Beat the milk and eggs until blended in a bowl. Pour over the dry ingredients. Add the butter and beat until blended. Stir in the bananas. Pour ¼ cup of the batter at a time onto a greased griddle. Cook until bubbles appear on the top and the underside is light brown. Turn the pancakes and cook until golden brown. Serve hot.

Serves 4 to 6

Comments

  1. Am definitely considering making this! Not sure how Alex will feel about them, but I think they sound fabulous!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look wonderful - and super easy too! I'll def be making these this weekend...thanks for putting this one up Alison!

    Anne :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!