Cookie Swap

Let me preface this by saying we really do work in my office, not just eat. Having said that, today was our cookie swap! We've never done one before, but the pie potluck last month was a huge hit, so we decided to give it a try. I'll share others' recipes once I get them (I may scan in the recipe cards one at time.), but below is mine. I read it in the Junior League of Galveston County's Beachside to Boardwalk. I typically choose chewy cookies, but the salty/sweet combo of these immediately enticed me. I had trouble finding flaky sea salt, so I used coarse sea salt instead and was perfectly pleased with the results. I also made my cookies slightly smaller (1½ tablespoons instead of 2) so they would more easily fit in the baggies I was using. This recipe is definitely a keeper!

Crispy Salted Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies
1 cup all-purpose
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons salted butter, slightly softened
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
6 ounces good-quality white chocolate, chopped
½ teaspoon (about) flaky sea salt

            Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Beat the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Scrape down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Scrape down the side of the bowl again. Add the flour mixture gradually, beating just until combined after each addition. Add the oats and white chocolate gradually, beating just until mixed after each addition.
Divide the dough into 24 equal portions, about 2 tablespoons each. Roll each portion between your hands into balls. Place 2½ inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with baking parchment. Press each ball down gently to about ¾ inch thick. Sprinkle each with a flake or two of the sea salt, or to taste. Bake at 350 degrees for 13 to 16 minutes or until deep golden brown, rotating the cookie sheet halfway through the baking process. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

Notes: Do not omit the sea salt. Do not use white chocolate chips.

Makes about 2 dozen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!