Homemade Scones

Christmas morning tradition involves all of us heading to my parents' house to open presents and eat breakfast, which usually takes us well into the afternoon. Typically we have breakfast casserole, sticky buns, and curried fruit. This year I contributed Cheddar Dill Scones, something I thought would be good for breakfast as well as sandwiches later that afternoon. I've never attempted scones before, but I have thought about it often. Making these made me even more grateful for my KitchenAid mixer...I don't know that a regular mixer could stand up to the thick dough. I was also a bit nervous about the kneading process. I've only ever made quick breads. My mom and granny make fantastic breads, but it always seems like I'm watching art as they knead the dough. I decided to go for it, anyway. It was past time to learn...

I did all as directed in the recipe, except for the eggs. I always buy large eggs, so used 5 to compensate for their slightly smaller size.


Ina Garten's Cheddar-Dill Scones
4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder

2 teaspoons salt
3 sticks cold unsalted butter, diced
4 extra-large eggs, beaten lightly
1 cup cold heavy cream
8 ounces extra-sharp yellow Cheddar cheese, small-diced
1 cup minced fresh dill, rinsed well
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water or milk for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Combine 4 cups of the flour, the baking powder, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is in pea-sized pieces. Mix the eggs and cream and quickly add to the flour mixture. Combine just until blended. Toss together the cheese, dill, and 1 tablespoon flour and add to the dough. Mix until almost incorporated. 

After kneading...
  Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead for 1 minute, until the cheese and dill are well distributed. Roll the dough 3/4-inch thick. Cut into 4-inch squares and then in half diagonally to make triangles. Brush the tops with the egg wash. Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 20 to 25 minutes, until the outside is crusty and the inside is fully baked. Makes about 16 scones.
I rolled the dough into a rectangle so it would be easier to cut into squares.
Before baking...

After baking! (Note the oozing, cheesy deliciousness...)

Comments

  1. PS~These did make fantastic sandwiches using leftover Christmas ham and a little mayo. No need to add cheese, because it's already in the scones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scones are part of our family Christmas morning tradition! :D This year, I made Chai Scones - unfortunately from a mix, fortunately very, very tasty!! These Cheddar-Dill's sound AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These scones look sooo good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!