Mmm...Muffins

Truth be told, muffins are up there as one of my favorite things both to make and to eat. There's something about a warm muffin fresh from the oven, split open and enjoyed with a cold glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee that just can't be beat. Several months ago I spotted a recipe for Chocolate Hazelnut Muffins that I knew I had to try.Since we had a cooler day today, and because Mike was busy studying, I decided it was well past time to whip up some of these bad boys.
The recipe may sound difficult and decadent, but in truth falls only in the latter category. There's not even a need to bust out your mixer, because everything is stirred together by hand. And because you melt the butter, you don't even have to plan ahead and set butter out to soften. This was my kind of recipe.
Now, my plan is to take them to the office tomorrow, so one batch would simply not be enough. I made up a second batch and made some regular-size muffins and some mini muffins. Other that a little less Nutella and a slightly shorter baking time, the minis go together and taste just like their larger counterparts.
The only questions now is, do I take coffee or milk for people to have with them tomorrow?


Chocolate Hazelnut Muffins

½ cup (1 stick) butter
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup sugar
¼ cup baking cocoa
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella)

Place the butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High at 30-second intervals until melted. Add the chocolate and stir until smooth. Stir in the sugar and baking cocoa. Whisk in the eggs, vanilla and salt. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Spoon evenly into generously buttered muffin cups. Make a depression 1 inch wide and ½ inch deep in the center of each with a small spoon. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the chocolate hazelnut spread into each depression. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 24 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the muffin portion comes out with a few moist crumbs. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 8 to 12


Comments

  1. I have all of these items and will be making these ASAP.....

    ....scratch that.... Justin ate all the darn Nutella!!! What am I going to do with that boy?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about trying peanut butter or almond butter...do you have either of those?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! The only thing that would have made it better was a glass of cold milk! (I'm not a coffee drinker!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!