A Weeknight Quickie

This one is short and sweet. I picked up some butternut squash while at the night market this past Friday (if you haven't been, you should definitely check it out). I read recipes using fresh butternut squash all the time, but had never attempted anything using it myself. Mike and I love the Campbell's V-8 Butternut Squash soup (the soups that come in the green boxes), so I decided to try my hand at making my own. We started simple...

Every month in our Food Network Magazine, there is a booklet with 50 themed recipes, such as "50 Things to Do with a Jar of Pasta Sauce," "50 Egg Dishes," "50 Game Day Dips," and the one I used tonight, "50 Easy Soups." I love many things about the magazine itself, but this particular feature is probably my favorite.


The soup was indeed easy, and quite delicious. The hardest part is cutting up the squash. We Googled butternut squash cutting tips and came across a very helpful fellow blogger with tips and photos.  It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it might be, and I have every confidence that I'll be doing it many times more in the future (especially since I bought 2 squash and only used 1 for the soup). We made everything as directed and thought it was delicious. We did top our servings with a dollop of fresh sour cream we also purchased at the FM. I really thought it added something. I don't know that store-bought sour cream would be as good, so I would use plain Greek yogurt or creme fraiche if you don't have access to dairy-fresh sour cream. Enjoy!

Butternut Squash Soup
Slice half an onion and saute in butter in a soup pot with a sprinkle of thyme until softened. Add 5 cups chicken broth and 2 pounds chopped peeled butternut squash and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender (it took ours around 30 to 45 minutes). Puree until smooth.

PS~We used an immersion blender to puree the soup in the pot, and that worked just fine for us.

Comments

  1. Sounds yummy! I've been making more soup than usual this winter and will have to try this one...as soon as I can get to the store to buy the squash. I've actually gotten Nelson to try...and enjoy...pumpkin soup, so maybe he'd like this one, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looks like I've got some catching up to do

Finally Fall

Squash and Carrots, Oh My!